Rat Bait Toxicity

With the current mouse plague there have been a huge number of animals presenting to the clinic for rodenticide toxicity. There are a few different rat baits out there, but the most common one is brodifacoum which prevents blood from clotting. Animals can be affected by eating the baits directly or from eating baited mice. Every bait is toxic to dogs, there are no 'pet-safe' baits. The toxin causes internal bleeding which will eventually lead to death if left untreated. 

Signs of rat bait toxicity:

  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Pale Gums
  • Bleeding from wounds
  • Coughing 


Luckily there is a treatment for rat bait toxicity known as vitamin K. Unfortunately it takes 24-48hrs for clotting to occur post vitamin K treatment, so some animals require a blood transfusion to replace clotting factors and the blood they are losing. 

If you suspect you pet has had rat bait, or if you would like more information, contact the clinic immediately, and we will be able to assist you. 



Skip Navigation Links.

(Click the arrows to expand)